Yankees vs. Cleveland - early in the season

Growing up in New York City, you can think you're at the center of the universe. Watching the Yankees vs. Cleveland tonight, the camera pans to a quick view of the dowdy (sorry, I slipped) Midwestern city. Our youngest sarcastically remarks: "Wow, Cleveland has three tall buildings."
Maybe I should've said something right then and there. What about the great European cities and their magnificent medieval Cathedrals. Or nature's glory: the Himilayas, the Alps, or even, sheesh, Niagara Falls (not that I've ever seen any or 'em). Or some of those Eight Wonders of the World like the Taj Mahal or King Kong. (Wait, a Ninth Wonder. Jason Giambi just hit a towering blast into the center field bullpen).

The real problem is this: New York really has been and remains the center of the universe. Now we may be entering the last chapter of that story, but maybe not. Could be Shanghai's ready to take over #1 status. I know all the compelling arguments about China leapfrogging the U.S. But Shanghai vs. New York? Hmmm. In fact, what other site or venue (city, mountain, desert, ocean, etc.) compares with the Big Apple? I'm all ears.

Not that no one goes to any of these other interesting (yawn) places. But for everyone that saves up to see the Matterhorn, about 428 people dream about seeing NYC: Broadway, Manhattan, Fifth Avenue, Central Park, Ground Zero, New York Stock Exchange, Metropolitan Opera...

So what do I say to our son? I can't lie. And besides, I've been to Cleveland.

Comments

Popular Posts