Saving money gives way to buying golf carts

Everyone out there saving money these days is under attack. After all, doesn't saving mean no one's spending? And doesn't no one spending mean the economy's going to stay weak?

First of all, you may have heard about the government's latest and greatest: an $8,000 incentive if you buy a golf cart. When I first heard this one, I thought it was an April Fool joke. But when I checked the calendar, it was October. So I called Morty.

"Morty? Hi, it's Rick. Listen, you'll never believe this. The government's giving $8,000 incentives to people buying new golf carts."

"Rick, I know. I just got back from the dealer. They're swamped with orders. It looked like the whole retirment community was there. Everyone's looking to take advantage. I may get one myself."

"But Morty, don't you use the golf carts at the club? What are you going to do with a new golf cart?"

"Listen Rick. We can use the thing to get around the area. You know, if we want to visit Eddie and Millie or something. Instead of taking the car, we take the cart. It's a thought."

"Okay Morty. But I have to confess I don't get it. Now you'll all have golf carts and you'll all be charging up all those batteries every day. Isn't that going to cost money?"

"You've got a point Rick. But aren't we going to get some sort of credit on the electricity usage? I mean, it's better than burning gas, isn't it?"

"You know, Morty, I think you've got something there. I'm going to write my congressman right now. In fact, I'll send him an email too. Get a bill together to give all you new gold cart owners a tax credit for the increased electricity you'll use. Better still, why don't I move to Florida so I can get one of those gold carts myself. No matter how you cut it, no one's going to be driving one of those things in my neighborhood in New York anytime soon."

We hung up and went about our lives. Just another day in Stimulus/Bailout America.

Now back to reality and saving money, I think I'll stick to that, rather than driving golf carts.

Comments

Popular Posts