Even Now They Won't Let Baby Charlie Gard Go: Why?

Now that Charlie Gard's parents have faced the fact that their little baby boy will die, they want him to spend his last days at home. The hospital refuses to comply with this simple request. Why? Can someone explain in plain English?

Never mind that these same people refused to allow the parents to access care that might have saved the baby. In that instance, the parents raised money from charitable souls who responded to their desire to access newer, admittedly experimental treatment for Charlie. But the hospital, the British, and the EU courts refused to allow them to do so. Did you understand that decision? If you read the statements put out by these establishments to defend their refusals, perhaps they made some sense to you. I did. I'm no medical or legal expert, but they didn't make sense to me. Maybe I missed something due to my lack of expertise.

But now you don't really need to be an expert. The parents simply want to be alone and at peace with their little boy when he dies - which he will. Again, the Great Ormand Street hospital refuses. So parents Connie and Chris appeal again to the courts.
"The judge said Great Ormond Street bosses had indicated that there were practical difficulties."
"Practical difficulties": Huh?

Having children of my own, I'm struggling to understand what's going on here. Foot dragging and finger pointing to be sure:
"Lawyers for Great Ormond Street said bosses had suggested mediation, but added that Charlie's parents had not wished to use the services of a mediator."
I some small way, it reminds me of my own struggle with a hospital that refused to allow my father to die at home, as was his wish. In our case, we had even gotten their assent (not that they really had a choice - at least here in the U.S. that was the case then. ) But the day we had arranged for his transport home, they dragged their feet.

We had already arranged for hospice. My Aunt and Uncle who had graciously helped set up the special bed in Dad's bedroom and arranged to be at my Dad's home to receive him called me. I was at work, planning to meet them all in a few hours. They said Dad had not arrived as scheduled. When I called the hospital, they said he hadn't been prepped yet. He was still in his bed. I managed to get the doctor in charge on the phone (at my insistence). While I didn't shout, I did make it clear we had an arrangement and he was dragging his heels. He mumbled something about the drip Dad was receiving, how it would have to be disconnected, how that would somehow create a problem. What problem? Well, his kidneys were failing and this drug was intended to address that.

But wait. We had all acknowledged that Dad was dying. Would this intravenous drip prevent or reverse that process? No. The doctor became sheepish in his answers. Finally I simply insisted that we move forward with our plan. He agreed. To this day I have not idea what that was all about. Did the hospital want to get another day's fee? The drip was expensive. Did they not want to cut off that little revenue stream, or at least try to keep it going a few more hours, even another day? I know this sounds at bit cynical. But really!

Dad got home, albeit a bit later than expected. I was there when the parameds brought him to his room. He was kind of out of it by this time. But as soon as he got into his room, he knew it. He perked up. He died in his own home, just as he wished. But why did we have to fight to get him home?

Why do Charlie Gard's parents how have to fight to get their little boy home? Given my experience, I kind of understand. But, as with my Dad, it simply makes not sense - at least not to me.

Comments

Popular Posts