Ruminations on a Day Off

Today's a day off from work - sort of. "Sort of" because, as any small business owner knows, actually taking off 100% from the affairs of the business is more a dream than a reality for most of us business owners. Nevertheless, with a few exceptions, I'm determined not to spend the day in the saddle. The markets are closed, so we should be too.

With that in mind, here are a few personal ruminations, having nothing to do with the business of financial planning or investing.

First, last week's two notable gatherings: the so-called "Women's March" and the "March for for Life." Did you notice that the Women's got most of the coverage? The March for Life? Hardly a peep. The Wall Street Journal, which I don't think of as a publication antagonistic to pro-life folks, covered the former, but not the latter. Why? I'll leave that up to you to decide.

Then there was that incident where some Catholic school guys wearing MAGA (Make America Gret Again) hats (supposedly mocked or shamed a native American. Frankly I didn't follow the incident when it first popped up. The initial coverage focused on these guys as Trump supporters, and tried to connect their "mean-spirited" actions to the President. That alone puts me off. As it turns out, it's highly doubtful that anything close to what was reported actually happened. Most Americans, thought, likely got the initial feeds and likely don't have either the attention span or the mental acuity to wrap their minds around what was likely the truth of the matter: that these guys - even if they are dopey high-schoolers - didn't do what they were accused of doing. The anti-Trump mileage was gained, and that's all that matters here.

Then there were two of the worst officiating calls I've ever witnessed in each of the NFL championship games. One was an obvious pass interference by a Ram player against a Saint receiver. Had the officials called it, it likely would have allowed the Saints to ice the game and declare victory. They didn't and the Rams lived to tie the game and win in overtime.

In the AFC championship, a call of roughing the passer - that never occurred - allowed the Patriots to keep a drive going. In this case, I'm not so sure that the Chiefs would have gotten out of their own way for long enough to seal a victory, especially with Tom Brady in the mix. But the call was utterly mind-boggling.

The NFL officiating came under severe criticism this season. These calls were two of the worst (if not the worst) I've ever seen. So bad that when one of the folks watching with me opined that it was a matter of assuring a New England-Los Angeles Super Bowl, which likely will get higher TV ratings than a Kansas City-New Orleans Super Bowl, I was tempted to believe him.

Finally, it freaking freezing here in the Northeast today. While I'll have to go out for a couple of brief trips, I'm just glad I get to take the day off (mostly) and stay warm inside.

By the way, if you're freezing and don't have something like the LL Bean down coat I bought a few years back, you might consider buying one. It's by far the warmest thing I've ever owned. Having been out once already, I can tell you that even at 7 degrees, with gusting winds dropping the wind chills to -14, if you've got the hood on, you're good. Of course, if I had to walk a bit my face would freeze, but that's what scarves are for.

So what's up for the rest of the day? Well, one more quick trip out (in my car), then back home to either tackle two reports from analysts we pay for their brilliance. Or maybe I just put the reading/analysis off until tomorrow. I'm leaning towards the latter. What the heck, it's a national holiday, right?

As for the holiday - MLK, as it's come to be known - many folks apparently ignore it and just go to work. Maybe someone will come up with the idea that it's a reflection of racism in America. Or has that already been brought up? 

Comments

Popular Posts