Does This Headline Really Entice You To Read The Article?

Here's a headline. Does it entice you to read the article?



If so, just click on it and enjoy.

If not, join the Sanity Club.

What's the Sanity Club? It's something bold and new. Actually, I just made it up. It springs from a residue of frustration over my usual go-to sources for what I once thought were really important articles to read.

Frustration? Well, initially that was true. For example, the source in this case is Zerohedge. You know Zerohedge, right? If not, it wouldn't hurt to check it out. You sometimes get a jewel here and there.

The thing is, here and there once was, "Golly, these guys really have something interesting and important to offer." Well, maybe not "Golly," but you get the point. I used to read a lot more of the articles on the site than I do now.

Why?

Well, at one time, they were a fresh source of alternative financial media. And we sure needed that (and still do). The main stream financial media always were shills for Wall Street. Over time, tough, the shill thing got worse. So when Zerohedge appeared it was refreshing. 

And at times it still is.

But somehow, as time passes, you get to know the themes and the repeat authors. As you do, you ask yourself: "Don't I know what "X" is going to say?" Or maybe the question is: "This theme is getting old!"

Let's skip over the authors that trigger the "Skip it" response. I think I'm humble enough to know that my opinion of someone else's opinion might not be everyone's opinion. So I don't want to caste aspersions on what may have been a serious effort to communicate what a sincere soul believes will benefit the common good. You can make your own mind up about this or that writer. 

As for themes though, there are some that just get repetitious and really don't add to the reserve of knowledge that makes a difference. At least they don't for me.

One such theme: that the US dollar is heading down the toilet - or some variation of this. It's been doing so since 1971. (We'll skip the background and analysis of that statement. You should already know why. If not, get up to speed.) 

Now, the theme isn't the problem. It's the timing of the final "demise of the dollar." I've been reading about this for decades. I'm still holding dollars, both digital an physical. Not saying we may be in the last innings. Indeed, if pushed, I'd likely say that's likely. But so what? I've got my stuff organized to survive the US dollar's demise. (At least I think I do...Let's hope.)

So when the theme pops up, I just skip the article. I simply don't have time to waste on it.

And there are many other themes as well: The collapse of the "American Empire - Joe Biden's mental incapacity and corruption - Ukraine's loss of the war with Russia...Hmm, the list really can be expanded quite a bit. But I don't want to bore you.

Is there a lesson in all this? Well...

Maybe it's that lots of stuff posted on the internet is a waste of time. Or maybe it's that it's really important to engage with media in a thoughtful manner that respects your own time, given the fact that we're all going to die someday. 

Or all the rest in between.

In any case, 2024, has proceeded in a manner that will be unique to 2024. Let's hope that our lives do the same.


Comments

Popular Posts