Will the Presidential Vote Be Decided Today?

If the polls are to be believed, we may not know the winner of the Presidential election today - maybe not for a while. Remember 2000? Confirmation of Bush's victory was a long time coming. Don't be surprised if we're in the same situation this time around.

Of course, if the polls are way off - a possibility - then we'll know right away. But assuming they're somewhat accurate, don't be surprised if the candidates become really contentious over the results.

I'm not so concerned about disagreement, or even contention. The one thing that does concern me is the racial element. It seems that, for some people, Obama represents a "step forward" for African Americans as well as other "people of color."

While that's understandable, and doesn't particularly interest me, it's the other side of the coin that's of concern: Obama losing represents a step back. As ridiculous as this is, I've seen many reports of people who think this way. I don't know if lots of people think this, but it's disturbing to see even a few thinking this way. It's disturbing because these sorts of people aren't really thinking. If they were, they wouldn't think this way.

Ignorance is an enemy of Republican government. Whatever happens today, I hope it advances the restoration of the Republic. So people thinking that an Obama loss represents a step back stand in the way of restoration of the Republic by the mere fact of their gross ignorance.

But wait. Didn't the Romans talk this way just as their Republic declined? Didn't Cicero lobby for a return to the Republic in the face of the rise of Imperial power? And didn't Cicero wind up being condemned to death? Well, I'm getting ahead of myself. At least I hope I am.


Comments

Popular Posts