The Day I Ran Into Lauren Bacall

When great Hollywood icons die, the world takes notice. Lauren Bacall, who just died at the age of 89 was certainly a Hollywood icon. She's one of the last from an era when the U.S. movie industry eventually dominated the world both in quality and quantity of production. (The great movie-makers of France and Germany were either silenced or pressed into making propaganda films during World War II and took many years to recover. Britain's movie industry, while responsible for some great films, simply never had the size and scope of Hollywood.)
Ms. Bacall's film career began in 1944. Her run of famous movie roles didn't last that long, nor did her famous roles amount to very many. But they certainly were memorable. And after a hiatus from starring roles in Hollywood's film industry, she managed to make a career for herself on Broadway, in addition to taking on character rolls in film.

So how did I run into this famous woman? Well, when you spend enough time in Manhattan, your chances of running into the rich and famous do increase to "above average."And this particular day, I happened to be tutoring the son of a rich man who lived in the Dakota - the same building in which Ms. Bacall lived - not far from where I attended college. When you enter the building through an arched entrance, you must stop at the desk and announce yourself. As I did this, there she was, speaking with the gent behind the desk, whom I suppose would be called the doorman or concierge. I didn't see her at first, but I did hear that unmistakable voice. I looked up and she was but a few feet away.

I didn't say a word to or about her, since I've always respected people's privacy. Besides, while it was interesting, I've never been a celebrity hound. Celebrities are just like us, at least those who live, for the most part, rather ordinary lives. Mere celebrity doesn't say much, if anything, about their character or personality, so it doesn't really count for much in the greater scheme of things. But it was nevertheless one of those memorable experiences, connecting in the flesh that which I had seen and heard so many times on celluloid.

By the way, that archway that leads to the doorman/concierge was the very place where John Lennon was shot and killed in 1980. He too lived in the Dakota, with his wife Yoko Ono. As I said, when it comes to running into the rich and famous, your chances are above average when you spend time in Manhattan.

In any case, for Lauren Bacall, a prayer, please, for the eternal rest of her soul. Requiescat in Pace, Ms. Bacall.


Comments

Popular Posts