A Politician Taking Your Money Shouldn't Surprise You

Politicians take our money for their own benefit, then pass it off as part of their job. It should come as not surprise. We see this frequently in their travels, which they justify as necessary part of their work "for the people." Here's yet one more example of this. 

Andrew Cuomo, Governor of New York, apparently wants to travel more. He hasn't done much traveling as governor, but that's about to change. In fact, he's looking to go overseas, not just fly around the U.S. But why?

The first reason given in this article in the Wall Street Journal is that as governor, he should travel to promote trade with New York State. How he would do that isn't revealed. And the cynical side of me sees this more as an opportunity to show himself off as in internationally savvy politician to set up a run for national office - as in President of the U.S. In fact, now that I think about this, I don't think it's too cynical at all. That's probably a big part of the reason for the international travel.

OK. So he's just like every other politician looking to pump up his prospects to gain higher office. And he's just like any politician who use our money to do that, given that traveling as a governor looking to increase trade with New York could be passed off as a valid expense rather than something his campaign coffers should cover.

And you know he's got campaign funds sitting somewhere ready to see his next political move. As son of the famous long-time governor of New York, Mario Cuomo, he's naturally the scion of a hoped-for political dynasty, perhaps a kind of Italian-American emulation of the unparalleled Kennedy family's dynastic run at high political office.

But what's a bit of a stretch in all this planned travel may be the decision to visit Israel. Is this being done for the purpose of establishing new direct trade links with New York State? Not really. It's got to do with the fact the Andrew grew up with Jews. Seriously. The only thing he's not saying here is "some of my best friends are...." But he's certainly not shy about justifying such a trip:
"I have a long relationship with Israel. I am a born-and-bred New Yorker. I was raised in a community in Queens with Jewish people," he said in the interview, which was published in 2010.

"So I feel a connection, I feel a bond. It is something I would like to do personally," he said of traveling to Israel, "and something I feel professionally the governor could do and should do."
So I, a New York taxpayer, should pay for his trip based on this? Heck, I grew up with Jews and, yes, some of my best friends really are Jews. So I was thinking I could maybe ask for a stipend from New
York State for a trip to Israel. I've always wanted to visit the Holy Land. And given my historic connection to American Jews, I think it makes perfect sense that I should go to Israel (where I know no one, by the way), on the taxpayers nickel.

That's logical, isn't it. Am I missing something?

Comments

Popular Posts