CBS Bumped by Time Warner Cable

Time Warner cable says it will bump CBS from its cable service - at least push it out of the "Channel 2" slot, which I understand is "prized." The question: Will we survive this loss?

The announcements are fast and furious from CBS these days. We'll lose 60 Minutes, NCIS, and some sorts of golf tournaments. Yes, I know there's other stuff too, but I just don't remember what then heck that is right now. What I do know, though, is that this "drama" is far too dramatic...don't you think?

I mean have we gotten to the point where these shows are so important?

I remember when Wimbledon stopped appearing on NBC, where it had been broadcast for years. Now the matches only appear on ESPN - and you have to have cable service for that. Since we don't have cable (unbelievable, isn't it?!!), we don't get to see Wimbledon anymore. For example, this year, a day or so after the men's championship, I found our that a Brit, Andy Murray won, and that he was the first Brit to win in many a decade.

Okay, so I wasn't overwhelmed by the news when I heard it. But you have to know that I did watch Wimbledon for many years - even though I don't play tennis myself - and enjoyed a match or two at times, usually the semis and the championship match. In fact, I liked Roger Federer a lot and enjoyed watching him play. But guess what? Now that Wimbledon isn't available on my TV, I'm doing just fine, thank you.

And guess what? Even though I do actually watch NCIS from time to time, if I never saw it again, I think I'd also be OK.

So if you're fretting about any of this Time Warner/CBS stuff, ask yourself why. Do you really think life will be so diminished without these shows? Really?

C'mon, there's a lot more to life than this stuff. In fact, you'd probably be a lot better off without most of it. Not that I don't watch any TV, mind you. But, really, if all the shows I watch - and, yes, that includes the NFL games on Sunday - disappeared, I think life would still be worth living. And I certainly hope that you would think that too.





Comments

Popular Posts