Docto Zhivago the Musical: Save Your Money?

It seems there's a Broadway musical version of Doctor Zhivago about to premier. I never read the novel by Pasternak, but I do like David Lean's movie of the story. I've probably watched it a dozen times - at least.

Frankly, my generic first reaction to "____ the Musical" theatrical works is one of skepticism.  I'm not saying this one's going to be the typical mediocre effort that so many other "_____ the Musical" efforts turn out to be, but I doubt I'll be spending my hard-earned US dollars on this Broadway musical. The movie's too good. I'll just watch it again. I just have an aversion to spending on what I suspect will be mediocre. And I'm simply not amenable to testing the waters with the filthy lucre I work so hard to earn.

Perhaps some of this is going on beyond my little world. It seems American have begun to save, much to the dismay of Wall Street. You see, Wall Street hates savers. They can't make any money off of them. And until fairly recently, many Americans saved their dough and lived off bank accounts and CDs that paid interest when they retired. This idea that you have to invest in stocks to survive old age is a fairly new phenomenon. And if the Fed ever raises interest rates as everyone keeps telling us they will - this year for sure - perhaps some combination of this new trend in saving and relatively safe interest-bearing instruments like treasuries, bank accounts, CDs, etc., will take us back to those "old days" when few of us invested in stocks and Wall Street was seen as a place for speculation, prudent of otherwise. Wouldn't that be something?

On the other hand, there's one thing that could drag me to the theater (at least if I can get discounted tickets). That one thing would be if some version of the following were one of the key songs in the production: "Baby, It's Cold Outside" by Frank Loesser. Of course, even if the song were in the musical, I doubt it could compete with this version - one of my favorites...


Happy Easter to all!

And, who knows, maybe it won't go back to being cold outside?

Comments

Popular Posts